Saturday, February 7, 2009

Shutout...7-0

Yesterday afternoon we played Indiana University. I remember travelling to Bloomington last year and having a tough match against them. Last year, we beat them 6-1 but I recall the scores being close across all courts. Yesterday was different. Before every home match, Jamie writes a quote on the board in the locker room for everyone to read. The quote is the first message we see as we walk into the room. Yesterday's message was, "If you don't make things happen, things will happen to you." When discussing this quote, Jamie stressed the importance of each player being aggressive from the first point and gaining the momentum early on in the match. His words definitely stuck because we were back in the locker room within 30 minutes discussing tactics for singles! Jess and Mallory dominated on court 2, winning 8-0. Reka and I finished within minutes of them on court 3 with a score of 8-1, to clinch the doubles point. Melissa and Amanda were on the court a little bit longer, eventually pulling through 8-3. They played the same team last year and went to a tiebreak, but yesterday they wasted no time getting an early lead and holding on to it.

Singles for the most part was not much different from the doubles. While I was trying to focus on my match, every time I looked up at the scoreboard everyone was in command of their first set. One person in particular, Jess, was steam rolling through her match. When I sat down on the bench at 2-1, I looked up and saw she was already up 4-0!!! With that said, she was the first one off the court coming away with a 6-1, 6-0 victory. I finished shortly after her, winning 6-1, 6-1. My opponent was a decent player and had not yet lost a match this season. Thus, I went on the court taking Jamie's advice, and made things happen. I felt I played aggressively from the start, which carried over through the entire match. I was happy with the way I played and to be off the court quickly. As soon as I finished, I wasn't surprised to see Reka up 6-1, 5-0. She has a knack for frustrating players with her style of play, and most players are dumb founded after the first few games, giving up easily. Hey, no complaints here!! A win is a win.

Mallory had a close one on the court next to me, but the combination of some good defensive skills and big forehands on decisive points proved to be too much for her opponent and she won 6-4. Taking the momentum from the first set, she held on to her lead and won the second set 6-3. Melissa and Amanda were in control their first sets, but had close second sets which is to be expected. Usually when you win the first set decisively, your opponent changes their game plan to fight back. But in the end, both of them demonstrated why they are a part of the 9th ranked team and closed out their respective matches in two sets. Overall, everyone was happy to have won all their matches and have an early night. We play Princeton tomorrow at 12pm. Thanks to everyone for their continuous support. GO DUKE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment