Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dylan Arnould

I’ve spent the last two years losing to Wake Forest.  My freshmen year we lost at home, and then last year we lost a 4-3 match at their facility (which only has five courts instead of six, don’t even get me started on that).  Even so, this time was probably the worst start I’ve ever had against them as a team.  We got flattened in doubles in what seemed like five minutes.  They won 8-1, 8-3, and 8-4.  They must have thought they were going to roll over us in no time at all. 

 

Now fast forward about an hour and a half, and Duke has already clinched the match with Luke’s last point, only right after Reid just served out his match.  It was one of the fastest dual matches of the year for us (even though it did end 4-3).  What happened? Why after thirty minutes into the singles matches was Wake suddenly scrambling to regain even a whisper of the momentum that they had a stranglehold on just a half hour before?

           

I’m going to hold off on the details of all that transpired, but I’ll just say that the way we came out of the locker room was something that Wake had never seen from us before, and I’m not even sure we’d seen it yet this year from ourselves.  It was quick, it was fun, and it was damn gratifying to finally be able to send the Demon Deacons packing, hopefully not for the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment